Sep 25, 2014

Pregnant and Sick tips with a little Throwback Thursday

I picked this shot of Mom, Dad and me to share because this is sort of how I felt all week long with my cold; but I'm happy to report that it has definitely subsided.  I'm feeling way better!  
Here's what I did!

But first, let me say that I had 5 weeks of code red, full blown, bust a move in your nose and throat cold during my pregnancy with Scarlet right at the end of the third trimester.  FIVE.  WHOLE.  WEEKS of it.  Now with 8 weeks left to go, I had a bit of a breakdown this past week.  I just couldn't handle the thought of going through the same thing again.  Preggo + Cold = Crazy Kate.  It's just the pits.  Not to mention, if I heard my doctor say 'salt-water gargle' one more time, I was going to jump right out of that reclining checkup bed and shout in her face:

'Really?!  That does JACK lady!  Come up with something else... you are a DOCTOR!  AND BY THE WAY, EVERY SINGLE INTERNET SITE SAYS THE EXACT SAME THING!  TIME FOR SOME NEW MATERIAL!!!'. 

So, I was determined to do whatever humanly possible no matter how weird or wild it was to kick the stupid cold's ass asap - even if I had to make some stuff up.

Here's what has helped.  It's probably all mental, but hey, whatever.  FYI - I'm not a doctor, I'm not a nurse, nor have any of the following ideas had any research (that I know about) done to prove them right or wrong.  Here you have it...

10) Cut all your finger nails off asap.  
Yup - it sucks but just do it.  Why?  Cause gross sicky germs get and stay under them even when you wash your hands so if they have nowhere to hide, they'll die.  

9) Since you can't suck on a lozenge, suck on a Vit C tablet
Let's face it, the medicine in the lozenge probably isn't that bad but we don't want to take any chances.  So, to ease your sandpaper throat, suck on a Vit C tablet and you'll be killing two birds.  You can do this twice a day!

8) Change or wash your pillow case daily. 
I know, MORE LAUNDRY?  But if you think about it, all the mucus and sneezing and boogers that without a doubt end up on there throughout the 5-8 hours of sleep that you're getting, it's no wonder your body is having a harder time fighting off the cold.  Kill those bugs!

7) Get your partner to clean all the doorknobs with a Lysol wipe and then get them to do the remote controls for the t.v. 
It will take 5 minutes.  

6) Switch out your toothbrush head as soon as you start feeling better.
Definitely don't want to be fighting germs two, three or four times.

5) Drink tea and slurp soup like you've been in a desert for a week wearing an Alexander McQueen fur coat - which would be horrible and inhumane, but you get it...
Even if you hate tea like me.  Find one that's OK and just chug.  

4) Don't go out too much, just shop online.
I had to postpone a date with a girlfriend (and I hate doing this), but it's for your own good.  You'll feel better anyway when you can actually taste the food and not coughing up a lung every two seconds.  Also, some retail shops online (ZARA just to mention one) will ship for free if you spend $50 or more.  Worth it!

3) Don't sniff it up, BLOW IT OUT!
I noticed I was making this mistake just yesterday.  By habit, I just sniff when my nose is runny.  It's not even something I think about, but when I did think about it, I realized that's nasty!  We want that gross stuff out!  So carry around a kleenex box if you need to and just get it gone!

2) PVR it.
As in, watch your favourite late night stuff earlier the next day and go to bed at 9.  Extra bonus?  You can skip all the annoying phone sex commercials that come on after ten.  Nope, thanks but nope. 

1) If you need to, milk it...
I know.  There are only a few times in a woman's life when she can and/or should 'milk' a situation to her advantage - when she's sick and pregnant and when she's planning her wedding.  Luckily, I don't have to milk it too much with Nate, but that extra hour that I don't have to cook or clean or run after my toddler is like a $1,000 dollar Nordstrom gift card on a popsicle stick.  Remind whoever it is that you're too weak, too dizzy, too drained (which is all the truth) to do that task right at the minute and you'll really try to when you can get out of bed.  Most of the time, they'll get it and will just do it themselves.  

So there it is - top ten tips from Moi that you probably won't find anywhere else online but will hopefully help.  Also, always remember, we're women, we convert food into adorable babies.  A nasty cold isn't going to break us.  Mind over Matter Mommas!  That's what I'm going with today anyway ;)

Kate 
XOXO


No comments: