May 6, 2014

 

I feel like I should be a little afraid.  My daughter (who is now 1 year), can unlock my phone, choose the music button, pick and then play Enrique (I know right), and then set it down so that she can dance.  This isn’t normal for a one year old right?  I mean, there were no milestone markers in any of the baby books that I ever read!  Or is it normal for this generation?  As wild as this question is, can toddlers do this?  I’m so out of my element right now with the ‘where’s-the-line-with-technology’ for kids.  I’m nervous about letting her see too much but then by limiting it possibly holding her back from learning and discovering more.  



When I was growing up and in school, Mom limited us to one hour of t.v a day all the way up until high school.  Then, we were just too busy to be able to sit down for any length of time.  We scarfed down a snack after school and then we were off to various lessons and outings.  We didn’t even know about cell phones.  We had one family computer.  My friends had to talk to my parents on a land line first before I got to speak to them.  It was such a different time.  


The little rascal knows she isn't allowed on this very often.  But that smile...


So, Nate and I said, absolutely no cell phone for the kids until they're 14 years old and she can only use it for X, Y and Z.  Right.  sigh.  By the time she’s 7 there is probably going to be a government mandated brain cell phone that they implant into your frontal lobe.  UGH!  Oh man I hope not.  No but seriously, as a couple we are going to have to be firm and really figure out what’s ok and what’s not.  What are the ‘house’ rules, what are the ‘family’ expectations and what is going to happen when Mom and Dad aren’t hovering over you every second of every day?  Where does the trust start?  When does that begin?


In the meantime, I’m planning on having a continued chat with the hubster about what we’re thinking of as a team for future years and future kiddos.  Thank goodness we have a least a few months or so to consider these tough ones.  Sheesh!  And I’ll continue to take cute pics of Scarlet on the phone cause you have to admit it is adorable, but WRONG!  So SO WRONG! Right?  Man, this is exhausting. 







No comments: