Jan 29, 2015

Being a Mom...of two.

 About a week ago, I took a selfie after having both kids all to myself for the day.  It was an extremely stressful afternoon, so I wanted to document in a pic what I was feeling in that moment as a #twoundertwo mommy. (I knew the pic would also act as a reminder if I got the bright idea to start trying for another baby anytime soon.  Honestly - I would be lying if I said that idea would be smart at this point in our lives).
It was a really rough day.  I won't go into details but lets just say I didn't wait for the weekend to have a glass of wine.

Disclosure: This was during the kids nap time so I was able to take a few to get one where I didn't look like a total psycho.
Full Disclosure: I edited the bee-jeepers out of it to hide the black bags under my eyes.  THANKYOU Valencia filter on Instagram and iPhoto editing abilities on my laptop.  

In these past two and a half months, it's been revealed to me that having two kids is much MUCH more work than one - not double, but triple.  I don’t know what it is or why, but I didn’t think having two kids would be that different or that much more work from one.  BUT IT IS!  I don’t know how to describe it, but it’s just a huge miracle when I make it to the end of the day.

I've noticed a few differences in myself too.

  Biggest change:  
My focus.  I was pretty caught up in climbing various career ladders in my life and working 'up' but now, there are much more important things to me.

Biggest surprise: 
My equal and unconditional love for all three 'babes' in my life.  I wondered how I could ever love a second baby as much as I love my first - but again, it's difficult to describe the wonder that you have for the next little soul that comes into your life from the love that you and your mate share.

Biggest hope:
Cause let’s face it - I always hope Scarlet will nap longer and be unusually brilliant and Will would transition to seven feeds in a day and start talking at six months, but my biggest hope is that they are truly happy and love me as much as I love them.  

The pic below reminds me that it can get really (and I mean REALLY) stressful and emotionally messy at our house during the day when I'm the only adult around, but that I can still come out of it laughing - and then take a picture of myself laughing alone...
I'm not crazy I swear.

 I'm pretty sure I was thinking about the former nurse that I met at church who told me her sisters were 13 months apart.  After all of my chaos during the day, all I seemed to be able to do was laugh.  There.  Is.  Just.  No.  WAY!
Anyway friends, that’s my take on it so far.  Life and the 'new normal' will be more manageable as the weeks continue.  I’m truly loving the gift of these two little beings and thank GOD that our time together is even happening.  I wasn’t so sure that I would be able to have children, so as rough as this road gets it’s still the one I want to be on. 

Have a fabulous day!
Kate
XO 

No comments: