Apr 28, 2014

Trimester No Fun

Can we talk a little bit about the first trimester?  

This stage is so rarely discussed among us women, perhaps because of the possible impending fear of something ‘going wrong’?  So then some of us (yes me too) turn to the internet which I’ll admit is probably the worst idea.  I mean, besides BabyCentre’s few notes on breast tenderness and bloating there isn’t much literature out there on the first trimester.  But as many of us women who have been through it, we know there is oh so much more than a little bit of heartburn here and there.  Lord knows… 

The secret
I think one of the most unfortunate parts about discovering you’re pregnant is that you immediately have a big fat mysterious secret that you so badly want and desire to tell others but feel like you may ‘jinx’ something or tempt fate or you may feel judged like ‘oh you shouldn’t spread the news so soon.  What if something where to happen?’  Yah, I get it.  I respect those that choose to wait the whole 12 weeks before spreading the happy news to others - heck I did it with my first two pregnancies.  But after some consideration, and going through both scenarios, I’m now definitely of the camp ‘share it’ in this third one.  It’s because I know I would rather have the support and love from family and friends than keep what feels like classified and restricted information between my husband and I top secret for the next eight to ten weeks.  Now, having said that, I don’t want to make those that keep this information private feel badly about doing so, it’s just that having been through the worst and coming out on the other end of things, it is so much easier sharing the truth and getting tips, ideas, care, suggestions, hugs, casserole dinners and prayers for how to deal if something unplanned where to happen.

Insomnia
As I write this, I’m wide awake at 2:00am sitting in my housecoat all alone while my husband, my one year old and my cat saw logs, like all three are definitely snoring.  I’ll probably be up for another hour or two (minimum) and this has happened on a fairly regular nightly basis for the last three weeks and most likely will go on until I reach the second trimester.  Oh - and this will start to come back at the beginning of trimester 3.

BMs
  Here’s the cycle:
Nothing.  Nothing.  Teeny.  Tiny.  Nothing.  Nothing.  Teeny.  Tiny.  Nothing.  Nothing.  Teeny.  Tiny.  That goes on for a while.  Then (in my experience) you’re forced into Metamucil by the ones that love you and you have a few good days.  You think ‘I’m good I’m good.  No need to do this daily.  I mean, drinking fiber disguised as thick sandy overly sweetened orange juice is wonderful and everything but I think I’m good to go’.  And then, teeny.  Tiny.  Nothing.  Nothing.  You get it.

Energy
CAN I GET TEN MORE?!  
YEAH YOU DID!  
LOOKING AMAZING OUT THERE TEAM!
WHAT’S THAT?  YOU WANT A LITTLE MORE? (Turn volume up)
ALRIGHT GUYS, LET’S SMOKE 30 EXTRA PUSHUPS TOGETHER!  UP ON YOUR TOES!!!

These are all sayings that I used to love to project into the microphone that was strapped to my head as I taught various forms of fitness classes at Goodlife Fitness.  Step,  Jam, Attack, I was certified and trained in all of them.  I taught hour long classes sometimes with just a few beads of sweat across my upper lip.  I loved that job.  I was good at it, the peeps liked my delivery and I kept a packed group of classes full of eager beavers every week.  I thought physically I could do whatever my mind wanted my body to do.  Then I got pregnant again.
Week 8 of my third pregnancy.  I can barely climb our home stairs without needing a nap.  I lay on the floor as my daughter plays with her books and toys and stares at me like ‘who are you and where did you put my Mommy?’.  I can barely lift my drink to my lips because it feels so heavy.  I have never, ever, EVER experienced this much exhaustion in any of my pregnancies.  This baby takes it hands down without a doubt.  EXHAUSTED!

Hormones
I knew there was an issue when I started having dreams of myself living the lives of various women such as a brunette milk maid, an asian geisha, a country farm girl and my favourite, a high class top dollar lawyer with killer nude Blahniks and a navy blue pencil skirt suit - I’m wearing glasses too.  Nate really loves it when I’m pregnant.  Let’s just keep it at that.

Nausea
To those women who don’t know what I’m talking about or didn’t experience it, dang you.  Dang you straight to heck.  For all of the rest of us, you know.  You laugh inside when people suggest crackers and ginger ale.  HAHAHA!  You have no clue.  It’s the woman in you that comes out with the evilest evil eye when her husband/boyfriend/partner starts cooking in the kitchen.  ‘Can’t you do that somewhere else?!  Eat it OUTSIDE!!!’  It’s smelling the cat’s freshly used litter box two floors above where it just happened, and the doors are closed.  It’s internally cursing the person who just so nicely asked you if there was anything that you might want for dinner because now you are forced to think about what your body will or will not accept by going through a list of imaginary foods that are currently all making you ill.  It’s walking into Superstore to buy makeup remover and smelling the fish in the back corner three-hundred feet away.  It’s gagging over a toilet and heaving and spitting uncontrollably because the apple you just tried to get down has a little too much acid, and, after you do ralph it up it’s not a ‘sick’ puke where you feel better afterwards.  You.  Just.  Feel.  Worse.  Yah.  You’re counting down the days till that glorious (haha, we’ll talk about this later) second trimester begins.  But for some poor POOR women, that never happens.  Oh the horror.  Let’s just be thankful that the dear Lord made all children precious little miracles because to go through something like this - it is going to be worth it.  Thank you to the woman that can relate!  Team ‘WE-GET-IT’.  That brings me to another topic of conversation that I’ll be writing about in the future: The Push Present or what I call it the The Pregnancy Present.

That’s about it for me - or that’s all the energy I have to write about the first trimester.  Hoping that the next week flies by, but if not and you see me during that time, please just give me hug and tell me it’s temporary.  

LUVS,
Kate 
XOXO


No comments: