Apr 11, 2015

Will’s five month update






Personality:
Will is a charmer, we’re talking LADY’S MAN to the max.  When we go out he smiles constantly at all the girls - I think he has a serious thing for brunettes.  We went out to Earls last night and one of the Hostesses couldn’t get enough of him and he couldn’t get enough of her!  She held him while Nate, Scarlet and I ate dinner!  Talk about service.  The girls at the front of the restaurant were all oooing and ahhing over how cute and handsome he was.  He just gazed up at them and smiled non-stop.  I could tell he was putting a serious spell on them and they were eating it up.

Sleep:
The nights have been getting better but it’s still hard.  He wakes up for a feed and sometimes he wants it twice in the night, but I oblige and just give it to him.  I’d rather do that at this point and put him down again quickly than spend the better part of the wee early hours bouncing, rocking, singing, dancing and doing anything but sleeping in order to wean him off of the night feeds.  I know from experience it will happen in time (for Scarlet it happened at month six).  A few nights ago he slept for 7 hours straight!  We were so thrilled, it was just the best.  Hoping for more nights like that.

Physicality:
Will is flipping!  He can roll from back to front which freaks me out a bit since we still swaddle him to sleep.  He loves the tight wrap so it’s going to take some work on our part weaning him from that…
His eyes seem to be getting lighter and lighter and his little hair is starting to come in.  It looks like he will have light brown hair but we’ll see!
He’s geting geared up for the jolly jumper and he loves the exersaucer.  It’s neck control so his gigantic Ukrainian head occasionally poses as a bit of a heavy feat - but not something that is going to stop this boy! 


His stats
At his last doc appointment he was 16 pounds and that was a while ago so I’m sure he’s about 16.5 by now - maybe even 17!  
He is 22 inches long and fits into 6 month clothing already!  What a tank!  He’s in size FOUR diapers!  Which is hilarious because that is the size that Scarlet finished at!  Woah…

Food:
He’s still breastfeeding exclusively but I’m hoping to start him on some solids around 5 and a half months.  The World Health Organization has brought it back from 6 months to 4-6 months so we’ll definitely be taking advantage of that!  We’ll go with an iron fortified oatmeal with a little bit of prune juice mixed in there to prevent any back up.  Scarlet got fairly constipated when we began solids so I’d like to avoid those stresses this time around.  I plan to continue to nurse Will till his first birthday and also because he may be our last baby so I’d like to hold onto that as long as possible.

Me 5 months postpartum

How are you feeling?
I was feeling fabulous up until a little while ago when I heard the saddest news I have heard in a very long time.  One of my friends lost her sweet baby girl after she was born at 37 weeks.  It totally rocked my world in a very huge way and brought up a lot of remaining feelings and sadness from when I lost our first baby a few years ago.  There is no way to describe the pain to anyone, unfortunately not even friend, family members or your husband.  They will never fully know your pain since it happened to you and your body.  The connection with that little soul starts day 1 that you learn of it’s existence and it is something only babe and mother can ever have.  That bond is unmatched.  It’s such a devastating scenario that we can’t control and only feel like we are left to pick up the pieces and move on by ourselves and it can be totally debilitating for the mother.  I know this despair so well.  It also really struck a cord with me seeing as how Will was born at 37 weeks with major red flags emerging prior to his delivery.  I just can’t help but feel like it could have gone south very quickly and easily.  All week, I have felt sadness for my friend.  Nobody should have to go through this and yet we do.   The positive is that I have had a huge appreciation for what the outcome with my third pregnancy was.  It is just such a huge reminder to me that all children are such blessings, such miracles and all the sleepless nights, diapers, tears, major temper tantrums are absolutely worth it.  

Any weight loss?
At five months postpartum I’m sitting at 110pds which is at the lowest part of my ‘range’.  At 5’6 I know this is very light but the nursing has been the biggest reason for it.  It is hard to keep up with the calories going out!  I’m hoping to put on a few healthy pounds in the next while by eating as much as possible and working out with the intention to build muscle.

Best moment this week?
Celebrating both Scarlet and Will’s age milestones.

What are you looking forward to?
I’ve been invited out with two girlfriends for a lady’s night out.  I’m so excited to chat and catch up with the gems.  

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Kate (and Will)

XO

No comments: