Aug 20, 2009


House . Updates

Week . 4

(Aug 14th - Aug 20th)


ARE WE THERE YET HONEY?




I'll be the first to admit that within the first month of house renovations, the Princess has once again reared her ugly monster head. It's time to be open and honest about her presence and 


fully accept that she's not meant to do this 


sort of work.  Yeah, yeah, I can hear the collaborative 'duh Kate' resonating in 


my very eardrums; but seriously, I try and try to make this 'handywoman' side of 


me happen, but She keeps sneaking back.  I just can't seem to kill her!  


Die woman...DIE!!!  


I'll give you a small example of the 'ego' that I'm dealing with, and this time I was 


able to silence the brat thanks to the help of Eckhart Tolle.  Yesterday, I finished 


my job of filling every nail hole in every casing, door header, base board etc that 


needed it throughout the entire house.  Then, once dry, I sanded them all down 


to a flat smooth surface.  I liked the job because I felt it was intricate and detail 


oriented...like me!  So when I was done, I asked Nate to give me a task similar to 


that of the first.  My 'new' job was to fill all the gaps between each adjoining piece 


of wood around in inside all of the doors by using my fingers to smooth it out and 


then wipe it down with a cloth.  However, Princess Fancy Pants started to 


discover that all of the goop that she's pushing into the cracks was getting under 


her long beautiful nails.  So, she did what she does best and she started to quietly 


complain. 'This feels disgusting and the filler is drying out my nails which I just 


know will break them all off.'  Then she started getting visions of stubby broken 


fingernails and gorgeous door hinges.  Oh man, here we go...  



At this point, I'm fully aware that the monster is present and has started to get 


grumpy so I try to completely ignore her.  I just keep going.  I work for another 


two, maybe three minutes when she starts speaking louder; 'This is lame Kate.  


Can't you pay somebody else to do this?  Wouldn't you rather be shopping right 


now?  You do need furniture you know.  Don't you deserve a break?'  'OK 


MISSY!  Yes I want a break but I'm sticking this out cause you're annoying and 


your setting me back from the house that I want, so shut it Prima Donna!!!'  


And then, I just kept going.  It was great.  She didn't say much afterwards and 


when she did, I said 'Nope, Stop it.  You're done girl'.  Thanks Eckhart ;)



Other updates (besides me killing a part of my ego) include hanging the skeleton 


boxes of the kitchen cabinets, building and installing the kid bathroom counter 


top and completing all of the wood work throughout the house.  All of the latter 


was of course done by Nate but I was there verbally supporting his every move.  


Hey, beside every successful super-husband is a supportive wife.    




(skeleton cabinets that Nate made) (MUM and Nate - awe)


(driving home after a long day of work)

1 comment:

AlannahLeigh said...

I LOVE Eckhart Tolle...his voice cracks me up lol.