Apr 29, 2013

Our sweet angel


Three weeks!

Well, everything has been going really well thus far.  Scarlet is such a fantastic baby.  She literally sleeps 70% of the day and feeds/poops/pees/looks adorable the other 30%.  I love her so much, even when she's screaming her head off.  

Things that I've learned in the last three weeks are that:

1.  Most newborns regardless of how they're fed (formula or breast) have 'fussy evenings'.  It's where the baby is obviously a touch (or a lot depending on baby) more high drama than usual.  Scarlet moves around and kicks her legs with the occasional squeal here and there from 9:00pm to 11:30.  Then I feed her and she's lights out.  The last two nights she's slept for 5 hours straight!  That's huge.

2. My 'let-down' in more like spray-across-the-room-for-three-minutes-and-try-not-to-drown-the-baby.  It's ridiculous.  I've learned I have to express a bit before Scarly latches on or she'll just choke and cry.  Not good.

3.  Babies poo is mustard yellow for a while, like FLORESCENT yellow.  If it goes green, it may mean that you're taking in too much dairy.  (I'll have a tall latte rather than a grande please made with lactaid - decaf...hmmmm, now I want one.)

4.  Babies nails are like RAZORBLADES!  Nate gives Scarlet a pedicure almost daily (it's so cute).  He files her nails right down to the skin, but if she wants to, she'll still scratch her face up.

5.  I have to have to have to get out of the house every single day.  Either S and I will go for a stroll or I'll take off for 45 minutes on my own for a drive or a walk around the mall.  It's for my own sanity or else I just feel caged up like an animal.  

6.  Sometimes I talk to Scarlet with an english accent.  It's cause I'm having fun and just goofing around and really want to make her smile.  Sometimes she does, but that's probably just from her gas. 

7.  Baby acne is actually kinda cute

8.   You have to keep your humour about you in these first weeks and try to give your partner lots of attention too.  Nate and I do back rubs, foot massages, spooning (TMI) and we often tell one another how well the other one is doing, even if we know they may have made a funny choice or a mistake. 

9.  People will hold your baby for hours - which is really REALLY nice if you need a break.  But, if you want to steal him/her away to feed them just say "Oops, I think I heard the baby pooping in your arms!  Let me take her off your hands".  They'll hand that little one over so fast...

10.  Parents are the best babysitters.  My Mom and Dad sat for us in week two while Nate and I did a visit at the Rockyview hospital.  It was nerve-racking, but we got home and Scarlet was passed out in my Mom's arms while my Dad cuddled the two of them.  Just precious.




No comments: