Nov 1, 2014

One of the ten perks of being pregnant...


This sign, unfortunately, is on my list for top ten perks of being pregnant.  I say unfortunately because as much as I love being able to park twenty feet away as opposed to thirty feet away from the Home Depot loading zone, this is a pregnant woman’s reality.  We have to find pleasure in a Home Depot parking sign.  Mmm hmmm.  

But I'm going to keep this post positive.  Understand that I am grateful in every way for the little boy my body has created by turning quesadillas and perrier into human life and one day...one fine day, I'll be able to look back and say, yup, there were a few great things about being preggers.

Here are ten that I could think of today:

#10. The 'Mothers New and To Be' signs

To Home Depot, Southcentre, Chinook Centre and any other box store that exists with these signs - they really do make you happier at 9 months.  Less waddle = good for all.

#9.  The 'I'm pregnant and I can get out of anything free' card

Feeling lazy?  Use the card.  Feeling tired?  Use the card.  Feeling like you don't want to cook and need to order pizza again?  Use the card.  Btw, there is no card, you just have to utter the words and/or give the look to the appropriate person.  It works really well when you're visually large and hesitate when you get up from sitting.

Speaking of pizza...

#8.  Eating without guilt, well, without AS MUCH guilt as usual.

This should probably be number one on the list, but it's slightly backwards because in the moment, you're telling yourself this is great and it's for the health of the baby and it's ok cause I'm pregnant, but then you're done and you realize that it's just going to be that much harder and perhaps a little longer to take it off when baby makes his/her debut.  So... that's why I demoted this perk to #8

#7.  Hormones are on fire so Mrs. McTake-Me-Now is in the house.

Well - at least they were for me during both pregnancies.  I'm bigger which psychologically doesn't make sense that I'm more 'eager' but the hubby doesn't care and wishes I was this 'eager' all the time.  NUFF SAID!

#6.  You get wayyyy more smiles from strangers.

I don't know what it is about a pregnant woman, but people just love to smile at them.  Sometimes I think they're saying in their head's; 'You're really big, but that's ok cause you have a little human growing inside of you, so it's actually cute'.  Or maybe they're laughing at you and thinking 'You moron, you have no idea what's in front of you'.  Either way, it's nice that they smile.

#5.  People help you with stuff

The door is held open, you get asked twice if you need help taking groceries out, you sometimes even get to jump the line in a long cue (especially if you're holding a toddler in your arms - this one is a guaranteed line jump).  It's just nice when you get a little break here and there.  I think this needs to continue even after the mommies have given birth.  All the help Moms can get is HUGE.

#4. Brain power excuses

Similar to the 'Get out of anything free' card but better.  This is 75% of the time a very legitimate symptom of pregnancy - baby brain.  But honestly the other 25% may not be, but can be blamed on it.  So it's like a freebie 100% of the time you're pregnant.  

#3.  You get told how great you look.

Or the opposite if someone is trying to be funny (but we won't get into that...if you're curious, it's about seven or eight posts back).  But in general, people are usually really kind and sweet and some will lie straight to your face but after a while you begin to believe that lie and you really do think that DANG, I'M LOOKING GOOOOOOD!  It's just nice.

#2.  Maternity clothes shopping

Only a true shopoholic (me) would be excited to go out and buy clothes five sizes too large for her current frame, but hey, I guess that's why this is number two.

and the #1 perk of being pregnant according to me is...

DRUM ROLL PLEEEEEEEASE!!!

#1. You get the sweetest, precious, cutest, most beautiful child on the face of the planet in your arms.

I know all moms and dads think and believe that their child is the sweetest most beautiful creation and I believe that it is true!  Every parent has that moment where they think Gerber Baby is going to call their house and ask them to submit their child's photo to the company and generate millions of 'oooooos' and 'ahhhhhhs' from strangers around the globe.  ;)  But let's face it, probably not going to happen, but for those two parents, or one in some cases (I need to shout it out to all the single parents out there #heroes), I think that the little life brought into the world is obviously the number one reason for being pregnant.  

sigh...

Now, I'd love to write up a post accounting for all the negative and annoying and horrific parts about being pregnant but I'm choosing to focus on the happy positive in these last few weeks because before I know it, I'll be holding my special little guy super tight in my arms without a thought about the last ten months.  WHOOO HOOOOO!!!  

Have a beautiful day!

Kate
XOXO



No comments: