Sep 9, 2009

House . Updates

Week . 7

(Sept 4th - 10th)





(stone work on the house is done - still waiting on the REAL front door)


- Walnut Hardwood Installation begins - Check 


- Master Bedroom Painted and looking fabulous - Check


- chrome Doorknob Handles ordered - Check


- Nate loosing weight and getting toned from all the extra physical work - Check


- Kate loosing weight And Getting toned from all the extra Physical Work - Nope, 


(and a large boo urns to that).






  Last week, some really cool random dude named Peter stumbled onto our blog.  In a comment 


below one of the pictures, he gave us a few decorating ideas.  At first I wasn't so confident 


about them he suggested that we dye our hardwood black and then said 'trust me'.  Yeah, I


 know ... dye our hardwood black and a 'trust me'.  I don't know.  However, he then commented 


that Nate and I look like a 'progressive couple' which was really flattering and completely true, 


so I thought; 'obviously this guy knows what he's talking about'.  Peter encouraged us to take a 


look at some interior design websites that I completely fell in love with.  They are pretty much 


exactly what we want to do.  In my opinion, the photos have a contemporary culture feel with a 


ton of elegance and a pinch of luxury.  House & Garden, House Beautiful and Modern Glamour


(which was a Los Angeles Times bestseller) have all featured these photos in them.  In 


exploring these web links I realized Peter wasn't a freaky weirdo and he actually had fantastic 


taste.  (Good job on not being an internet freak Peter).  Thankfully, his recommendations 


couldn't have come at a better time.  Nate and I are getting into the decorating and design stage 


and I have a feeling it will consume our lives in a positive way, or at least mine.  So, although we 


may not dye our hardwood black, I'm trusting in Peter and his cool websites and really aiming 


for a similar feel to the pictures that you see if you decide to take a gander.   Big thanks for the 


suggestions Peter a.k.a really-cool-random-dude-who-isn't-a-weirdo.  Here is one of the sites:








(I know you wanna see more cabinets)

5 comments:

Wicked Weilands said...

Yup! Nate made those...craziness.

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I'm checking out your blog because I'm curious how your house is coming along. Kate, thanks for the compliment and also for realizing I'm not a "creepy internet dude". I'm still laughing. Is anyone else reading your blog?

So glad you liked the the kwid.com link. Next time you visit that website, take a look at the Maison 140 Hotel. This place is in our neighborhood and is where my wife and I put our friends and family when they come to visit. We call it our "guest house". I recommend you go to Google Images and look at some more photos of their rooms. The place is stunning. Also, the Viceroy Palm Springs and Viceroy Santa Monica look incredible -- but cool in a different way than the Maison 140.

The house is looking good. Let me know if I can help.

Peter

L said...

I am reading your blog!! And I am amazed at the progress you're making. CONGRATS! Both you (Kate) and Nate have the best taste of anyone I know. Peter, I have no doubt that you will be asking them for design suggestions when you see their finished product!

Wicked Weilands said...

Haha! Laura, you are too cute. I think that you two may be the only two who do in fact read it - I literally have to pull teeth to get Nate to take a look; but even so, I LOVE to do it.

Peter, your guest house is stunning. Maybe if we become good and solid, non-creepy internet buddies, Nate and I will visit you in the future ;) However, by the looks of the place, we may need to sing and dance on the corner of a street just to afford a night. But we'll make it up to you by having you in OUR guest house...a.k.a the guest room.

aside: I LOVE the french feel! I want to do that in our master bad-room (j/k...bedroom). We were in Paris over the summer and were sooooooo inspired. I'm stealing that for sure. Any Parisian wallpaper recommendations or suggestions?

-K

Anonymous said...

Okay, wallcoverings. I've got you covered. Yep, that's a really bad pun...

You probably know this one, but... Some of the best and most elegant wallpaper you can find is Gracie. You can see their work at www.graciestudio.com. Yes this is expensive. But as you know, you always look for what you really want, and then go out and find a less expensive version somewhere else (or you just buy what you really want).

The coolest wallcoverings you can find will be found at: www.fschumacher.com. You can find Kelly Wearstler's stuff here as well as Trina Turk's stuff (www.trinaturk.com). But there are actually better designs than those two designers on this website.

You probably already thought of this but grasscloth is really cool and very stylish. And you can find it reasonably priced from a wholesaler on the web. Take a look at Schumacher and check out the grasscloth selection.

Last one... two really cool girls in London recently started making wallpapers, here's the site: www.barnebygates.com. Their deer damask paper in duck egg blue is stunning...I've seen it. If you like it, email them and they'll send you a sample.

Please believe me that I don't think I'm a know-it-all when it comes to this stuff, and I hope I don't come across that way. It's just that I've done this stuff already a couple of times and I'm happy to offer any of the things we discovered when we did this. But truthfully, I feel like I'm intruding a bit. I'll tell you what...I'll only give you ideas if you ask, that way I won't feel like a creapy internet dude. BTW, I think my wife would fall over laughing if she knew I was doing this...

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go down to the corner and sing and dance for some sushi.

Peter