Nov 24, 2014

Post Partum Weekly Update

TWO WEEKS POST-PARTUM

How are you feeling?
Pretty good.  Not great, but good.  I’m still paranoid about random stuff happening like an infection on one of the layers of my insides or having one of them split open if I move in a weird way.  It’s not fun imagining negative things going on inside your body.  I’m eager to finish ‘recovering’.  But, happily  - the multitude of tests and exams that have been issued have all been coming back negative.  We’re just working on managing the hypertension/eclampsia and that too is coming down.  Very positive. 

Sleep?
Thankfully we’re getting some.  Will wakes twice in the night (which is hard but totally doable since I was waking about four or five times in the pregnancy to go to the washroom).  He’s up once at around 1:30 am and the other at around 4:30am.  It takes him about an hour total to feed because we fool around with various holds and with his hands being in his face or trying to burp him, so it can be a little red eye-ish.  He’s just so tiny it can be hard to get him to latch when he’s sleepy or to hold him properly.  I’m not sleeping on my stomach yet (major tears here) because my incision is still just too new, but come week 6, I’m all tummy time!

Nutrition?
Sad to say my appetite hasn’t quite come back.  I’m one of those girls that when something bad or scary happens I lose my appetite.  I’m literally forcing stuff down just to keep milk production up.  It’s so weird knowing I should be eating but not being hungry.  My appetite will come back though - with a vengeance!  Haha.

Any weight loss?
This week I lost 5 pounds for a total of 13 pounds putting me at 130.

Best moment this week?
Getting the info that Will had gained back his birthweight before the allotted 10 days and taking him off of the supplement (formula top-up).  We were STRONGLY encouraged to give him formula as well as the breast for the first few days of his life.  He had super low blood sugar levels and this just helped regulate that until my milk came in.  The colostrum that he received was helping, but he still needed a touch more for the docs and nurses to feel like he was in the safe zone.  It KILLED me giving formula to him because I didn't feel like I was enough and i was also told hospitals push formula - but deep down I didn’t want to be stubborn and put him in danger.  It was for the best.  I’m just happy we don’t have to do it anymore.

How is Scarlet coping?
Really well!  I can finally nurse in front of her and she doesn’t mind or freak out.  Occasionally if Will cries or fusses she copies him and looks to us for attention.  It’s hilarious.

Baby Will?
Is SOOO sweet!  My only issue are his diapers.  Boys are about a gazillion times harder to clean than girls!!!  There are so many nooks and crannies that you have to dig around but be extremely careful not to go too hard and I’ve been peed on almost every single time I’ve changed him!  I laugh and then I look at all of the wasted diapers and feel guilty about the environment.  It’s true - babies are so bad for the environment.  

His weight?
Last time he was weighed (on Friday) he was 6pds 4oz!  WOO HOO!  Still not even close to Scarlet’s birth weight and he’s two weeks old.  But still.  Wow.

His disposition?
Calm cool and collected almost all the time - exactly like his Daddy.  When he cries it sounds like a squeak, just like a little mouse.  

What are you looking forward to?
Christmas
Picking up Scarly properly
Getting more and more adjusted to our new normal



Fourth Trimester Rulebook: I will do my best to implement these rules for the next three months.

1. I will be kind to myself, my mental well-being, my body and my heart.

2. I will do my best to let go of the cleanliness of our house.

3. I will ask for help and ask often.

4. I will do my best to sleep or rest when the baby sleeps.

5. I will resist the urge to feel guilty when I am not with Scarlet and Nate.  I will value and cherish my time with sweet baby William. 


6. I will not workout or be physical ;) for at least 6 weeks

No comments: