Mar 16, 2014

Theatre Calgary


I'm a Thespian, or I was at one point.  I went through a stage in university that lasted around five years and from that, I ended up with two degrees ;)  Then I taught theatre in two different high schools, and now, I really like to sit back and just enjoy it without having to 'grade' it or 'judge' it.  My thespian days are over but truly enjoying professional theatre has just begun.  So I guess that makes me a Dilettante.

One of my Christmas presents this year from Nate were seasons tickets to Theatre Calgary.  Our first performance was The Great Gatsby which even without a Leo look-alike was a total success.  The costumes alone made me want to be catapulted back into 1920 just so I could shake my flapper, do my hair in a wavy chignon and wear decadent red lipstick.  Halloween ideas?  Possibly. 


Walking into the theatre

This past weekend we went to the second performance of Theatre Calgary's season.  It was called Major Barbara.  Wow.  I won't get into a play review or anything here, but again, I was transported back into another world with this one.  It was stunning and meaningful.  A very tangible world created by the actors and actresses.  I can't believe how captivating the three hour play was - I'm embarrassed to say that I really only thought of my precious baby girl during intermission.  So unlike me.  




Looking forward to the next two shows: The Mountaintop and the musical Mary Poppins!
Check out the link below if you're interested in the upcoming season.  The deal on five shows is worthwhile as they give you a reduced price if you go with all five and you are given preferred seating.  This is the route that we went and we ended up in the fifth row.  Beautiful theatre, worthy selections, talented performers - what else could you ask for in a night out at the theatre?  Oh - and they LET YOU TAKE YOUR WINE INTO THE THEATRE WITH YOU!  Dare I say anymore?



One last point that I'll mention is that my husband also really enjoys Theatre Calgary.  It isn't too fancy (when I drag him to the Ballet) and it is much easier to follow (than say the Opera).  Both of which I would go to in a heartbeat but when you're in a partnership you want to make sure that your companion is getting the most out of his or her date night too.  Hockey games and the movie theatre are on his list so of course we'll also be attending those events as well.  But seriously, Theatre Calgary is fabulous.

#TheatreCalgary 

No comments: